Did our ancestors cleanse?

Did our ancestors cleanse?

With colder season coming I am excited for upcoming holidays, getting together with my family and friends, lots of gifts for kids, and of course enjoying snow. I am thinking of how to stay healthy and keep my kids and family away from seasonal colds and flu during the holidays. Being healthy I can contribute a lot more to family events like playing with kids outdoors, getting together with my family, going to a school concert, etc. So, what can we do to keep our body on guard?

One of the oldest methods to support our immune system especially during cold season and to keep our body clean was having a sauna. Sweating and sauna baths are an ancient tradition, and are associated with good health and healing. The tradition of the sauna goes back at least as far as ancient Rome, with the famous Roman baths. There are also well known Finnish Savusauna, the Sweat Lodge of the Native Americans, the Russian Banya and the Hammam of Morocco. It is obvious from studying history that people have been enjoying the detoxifying effects of the sauna for many years.

In today’s world, there are a lot of choices when it comes to sauna, steam treatments, and detoxifying programs. There are choices to fit almost any budget, from exotic and expensive built-in home saunas to simple and less expensive portable ones. Some saunas use steam, whereas others use heated rocks and still others use modern and efficient infrared heaters. The effectiveness of any sauna detoxification program will depend on the type of heat that is used and how you use it.

For example, infrared saunas have been found to produce sweat that has more toxins and other organic compounds in it. As much as 15% of the sweat produced in a typical infrared sauna, for instance, is composed of dissolved fats, toxins and other materials, whereas only about 5%-6% of sweat in the traditional hot rock sauna contains these materials, with the remaining 94%-95% being composed only of water.

No matter what type of sauna you choose, there is no doubt that such sauna treatments can be good for the body as well as the soul. Saunas are relaxing and very effective way to remove many toxins that build up through everyday living.

Have a healthy day and if you never used sauna before, just give it a try!

468 ad

1 Comment

  1. Hi there, just wanted to mention, I enjoyed this post. It was helpful. Keep on posting!

    Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This